Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris

 





"Fear . . . there is nothing quite like it."  

From Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris


Oh, B. A. Paris, you certainly know how to get me to obsess over a book.  First, set the book in England (check; suburbs of London).  Second, create a twisty psychologically suspenseful story (check).  Third, make this story so engrossing that I read this book in less than a day (check and check!)  

Behind Closed Doors is about perfect couple Jack and Grace.  So perfect, in fact, that their house looks as though it belongs in Architectural Digest or Homes & Gardens - although they rarely invite friends over.  So perfect that Grace's cooking is an elaborate five-star sumptuousness - but she always remains so slim.  So perfect that Jack and Grace can't seem to be without each other - and Grace never answers the phone.  


If you've read any kind of psychological suspense or thriller, you know exactly where this is going - or you think you do.  Let me tell you, even if you do figure everything out, the ride is well worth it.   I was sucked in from the first page.  It kept me in suspense throughout and my heart pounded along with the book's characters.  It was absolutely, positively unputdownable until I had read the last words.  And then the story continued to stick with me.  


Behind Closed Doors is one of those stories that is so vivid -- you can see Grace and Jack and hear them.  And it takes a familiar trope of romances - finding that perfect man or woman - and turning it on its head.   To be fair, the book isn't perfect.  There are some things that if you really think hard on them will make you scratch your head.  And a more fleshed out background on central characters would have been nice to explain why they did what they did.  But if you can overlook that and just settle in for an engrossing and unsettling story, Behind Closed Doors will most certainly fit the bill.  


I would not hesitate to recommend this book - and, in fact, have already shared my copy! 


Disclosure:  This book was purchased by me with my own funds.  My views and opinions are my own.  I was neither paid nor compensated for this review.  







Comments

Popular Posts